Subi Suresh is an Indian actress, television host, and comedian who predominantly works in the Malayalam entertainment industry. She is known for playing the role of Sheeba in the film Vakathirivu (2019). On 23 February 2023, Subi died at a private hospital in Kochi, Kerala; she was diagnosed with severe liver disease and jaundice.
Subi Suresh was born on Wednesday, 22 February 2023 (age 41 years; at the time of death) in Tripunithura, Ernakulam, Kochi, Kerala. She did her schooling at Government Girls Higher Secondary School, Tripunithura, Kochi, Kerala. Soon after completing her higher secondary education, she attended St Teresa’s College, Ernakulam, Kerala. A dance enthusiast, Subi often performed on stage at various cultural functions in her school and college. She was also the head girl of her school.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her mother’s name is Ambika Suresh.
Subi’s father’s name is Suresh. Subi’s brother’s name is AB Suresh.
In 2022, in an interview, Subi talked about her previous relationships and said that although she had dated three men, she ended up breaking up with them by mutual consent. Subi discussed,
I had not got the mood to get married. I was in love with two to three people. They didn’t dump me. Couldn’t get along with them and parted ways with mutual consent. My family is big for me. When someone comes into my family, it has to be the right person. He should love my family more than me. Many proposals had come from USA. I was not able to find a suitable person.” Manorama
In 1995, Subi made her television debut with the Malayalam parody show Cinemala; she played multiple roles in the TV show. The TV show, Cinemala, is one of the longest-running shows (1993-2013) and is listed in the Limca Book of Records as the Longest Running Weekly Comedy Show.
Subsequently, in the early 2000s, Subi worked in various Malayali shows like Santhanagopalam (2004), Calling Bell (2005), and Indumukhi Chandramathi (2006). Subi has appeared as a host and participant in more than 60 Malayali-language TV shows. She appeared as a host in shows like Kuttipattalam (2012), Comedy Super Nite (2015), Comedy Challenge (2017), Pisharodiyum Tharangalum (2022), and Onnannara Ruchi (2023).
In 2001, Subi made her acting debut with the Malayalam-language film Aparanmaar Nagarathil.
In 2011, she appeared in the film Sandwich in which she played the role of Seema. In 2013, she worked in the Malayalam film Dolls, wherein she played the role of Sisily Perera. Subsequently, she appeared in many films like Breaking News Live (2013), Ladies and Gentleman (2013), Drama (2018), and Vakathirivu (2019).
0n 22 February 2023, Subi passed away after suffering from a liver-related disease at Rajgiri hospital, Kochi, Kerala. The news of Subi’s death was confirmed by her friend and comedian, Tiny Tom. Tiny, in an interview, talked about Subi’s demise and said that she was admitted to ICU and was about to go a liver transplant surgery. Subi said,
She (Subi) had been in the ICU for the past few days. She was about to undergo liver transplant surgery. We had done everything to expedite the process with the help of political and social activists.”
In July 2022, Subi uploaded a video on her self-titled YouTube channel. She revealed that she was admitted to the hospital for several days after being diagnosed with various health issues, including thyroid and digestive disease. Further, in the video, Subi blamed her unhealthy lifestyle for her bad health and advised her fans to avoid skipping meals. Subi, in the video, said,
Ahead of a shoot, I became severely ill and was unable to eat anything due to body pain, chest pain and gastric problems. After two days, I was completely exhausted and decided to take an ECG in Thiruvananthapuram. It was also found that my body did not possess enough potassium. Even afterwards, I didn’t take any medicines correctly. I was not having medicine for that properly. The doctors say if one starts taking pills for thyroid, the medication can’t be stopped in 90% of the cases. In between, I stopped thyroid medicine intake based on medical advice. But then I contracted the illness again.” The Times of India
- Subi Suresh was fondly called “Subi Chechi (Chechi means elder sister)” by her fans and friends.
- In an interview, Subi Suresh recalled her school days and said she was among the famous students of her school. Further, in the same interview, she revealed that two female students from her school had a crush on her. While discussing the same, Subi said,
Though I studied in a girls’ school I was the heroine there. There were English and Malayalam mediums. There were two children in Malayalam medium. Asha and Sulekha. During PT period, they will not go outside to play and instead will just stare at me through the window. It was very annoying for me.I could not go to school for 10 to 15 days. I said I was ill. They said they were sad for not seeing me for so many days and asked to give them a photo so that they could keep it in their hands. They loved me a lot.”
- She follows a non-vegetarian diet. Facebook – Subi Suresh
- Subi made her television debut with Cinemala (1995) when she studying in high school.
- According to sources, Subi wanted to become an Indian Army officer since childhood; however, owing to her family’s financial condition, she continued her career in the entertainment industry. In school, Subi was part of the National Cadet Corps, and she represented Kerala in the Republic Day parade in New Delhi when she was a class nine student.
- Subi was good at shooting sports, and when she was pursuing her undergraduate degree, she won various medals in shooting.
- A fitness enthusiast, she often shared videos of practising different exercises on her self-titled YouTube channel.
- In her leisure time, Subi enjoyed farming. She used to cultivate various vegetables and fruits on her terrace.
- In 2023, she was honoured by the State Bank of India.