Lakshmi Priya is an Indian actress, who predominantly works in the Malayalam entertainment industry.
Lakshmi Priya was born as Sabeena Abdul Latheef HinduPost on Monday, 11 March 1985 (age 37 years; as of 2022) in Kayamkulam, Alappuzha district of Kerala. Her zodiac sign is Pisces. She was brought up in Nooranadu, Kerala. After the divorce of her parents when she was two-and-a-half years old, Lakshmi Priya was raised by her paternal uncle Latheef at her father’s ancestral home. Despite growing up in a big family with five uncles, she suffered from the emotional distress of not having her parents’ love and care. She met her estranged father at the age of 5. She was a thirteen-year-old girl the next time she met her father. By that time, her father already had another family. She spent her childhood under the impression that her mother was dead. At the age of 14, Lakshmi meet her mother for the first time and discovered that she was alive. However, meeting her estranged mother seemed indifferent to Lakshmi Priya as the love and care had already faded away with time. In an interview, she said,
I am someone who grew up believing that my mother was dead. When I was 14, I went alone to meet my mother, expecting that she would shower me with the love and care that she had been holding back for all these years. However, it was nothing like I expected. I realized that such things happen only in the movies.”
She did her schooling at St. Mary’s LPS Charummoodu, CBMHS Nooranad, and PUM Vocational Higher Secondary School, Pallickal. When she was in twelfth standard, she dropped out of her school. East Coast Daily Malayalam A loner throughout her childhood, she finally sought solace in acting. After her marriage, she relocated to Kakkanad, Kochi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Lakshmi Priya’s father’s name is Kabir. Her parents divorced when she was just two-and-a-half years old. She has two sisters.
Husband & Children
In a Hindu wedding ceremony on 21 April 2005, Lakshmi Priya got married to Jayesh Purushothaman (also known as P. Jayesh), who is the son of renowned playback singer Pattanakkad Purushothaman. Together, they have a daughter named Mathangi Jai.
Lakshmi Priya was born into a Muslim family. She started following Hinduism when she was 19 after her marriage to P. Jayesh. HinduPost However, she officially converted into a Hindu on 13 July 2021 and announced it through an official gazette published by the Government of Kerala.
Cyber Heights, Flat No. 12B, Asset Homes, VSNL Road, Kakkanad P. O., Ernakulam District, Pin-682030
She started her journey in the entertainment industry at the age of 16 as a professional theatre artist. Although she was intrigued to become a film actress since childhood, she was able to venture into the Malayalam film industry only after her marriage to P. Jayesh. It was her father-in-law who introduced her to numerous prominent directors in the South Indian film industry and kickstarted her career.
In 2005, Lakshmi Priya made her acting debut with Jeevan TV’s show ‘Sthreedhanam’ in which she played the role of Sari’s sister. She played one of the lead roles in Kairali TV’s ‘Ayyadi Maname’ (2005).
From 2005 to 2006, she starred in Surya TV’s show Indumukhi Chandramathi. Other Surya TV’s show in which she appeared include ‘Kaanakkinavu’ and ‘Abhinetri.’ In 2010, she starred in Amrita TV’s ‘Aranazhika Neram,’ which bagged nine awards in the Kerala State Television Awards. From 2015 to 2016, she appeared on the TV show ‘Nirupama Fans,’ which was telecast on Flowers TV. She also featured in Flowers TV’s Seetha (2018) and Pulival (2020). Apart from daily soaps, Lakshmi Priya has appeared in various reality TV shows like Aram + Aram = Kinnaram, Laughing Villa, and Badai Bungalow.
She appeared on the cookery show ‘Taste Time,’ a telecast on Asianet. She also hosted the TV show ‘Little Kitchen,’ a cookery competition for kids. In 2022, she came into the limelight after appearing as a contestant in the popular reality TV show Bigg Boss (Malayalam season 4).
In 2005, she made her film debut with the action drama film ‘Naran’ in which she played the role of Kelappan’s elder daughter named Pushpa.
She played the role of Sobha Gopinath in the 2006 political action-thriller film ‘Lion.’ She played the role of Radha in the romantic drama film ‘Nivedhyam’ (2007) and Sofia in the romantic comedy-drama film ‘Bhagyadevatha’ (2009) She was immensely appreciated for playing the role of Mallika in the 2010 drama film ‘Kadha Thudarunnu.’ In 2012, she played the role of a biology teacher in the film ‘Last Bench.’
Another prominent film of her career was ‘Molly Aunty Rocks!’ (2012) in which she played the role of Usha.
In 2015, she starred in the political drama film ‘Campus Diary.’ The film revolves around a student named Nikhil, who, as part of an NSS camp, wants to bring about social changes. In the same year, she starred in the film ‘Ithinumappuram’ as Devu.
In 2019, she appeared in the film ‘Safe’ as Aamina. The film revolves around an IPS officer named Shreya, who faces troubles while investigating a sexual abuse case.
In 2017, she garnered immense popularity for starring in the Malayalam theatrical production ‘Hidimbi.’ While Lakshmi Priya played the role of old Hidimbi (from Mahabharata), Geethu Das played the modern-age Hidimbi.
In 2019, she authored the autobiographical book ‘Kathayum Kathapathrangalum Sankalpikamalla.’
Lakshmi Priya made her debut as a scriptwriter with the Malayalam drama film ‘Aarattu Mundan,’ directed by her husband, P Jai Dev. The film narrates the story of Murali, a politician who serves the society without any benefit to his own house or family.
During the 2021 Kerala Legislative Assembly elections, Lakshmi Priya claimed that she is a staunch supporter of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). HinduPost She said,
I will be with the movement no matter who leaves it for victory or defeat. Although I do not have a single seat like the one I did, I am one of the tens of thousands who will definitely vote for the Bharatiya Janata Party. “
- Actress: Shobana
- Book(s): Randamoozham (1984), Mattathi (2016), Samudrasíla (2019)
- Writer(s): M. T. Vasudevan Nair, Sarah Joseph, Madhavikutty, Subash Chandran
- Ever since she became a practising Hindu, she has been targeted by angry orthodox Islamists, who often slam her on social media.
- A trained dancer in classical dances like Bharatanatyam, Mohiniyattam, Kathakali, and Ottanthullal, Lakshmi was awarded the ‘Kalathilakam’ title during her school days.
- She actively works alongside two social service groups Disha and Koottu, which instil leadership qualities in children and also promote organic farming.
- She was named Sabeenajayesh on her PAN Card and Sabeena Jayesh on her Driving Licence.
- In an interview, Lakshmi Priya revealed that before getting married to P. Jayesh she was courting a lawyer, but she broke the marriage as the groom’s family demanded a dowry of 101 gold coins. She also revealed that when she got married to P. Jayesh the only gold that she wore was her mangalsutra.
- She has been a featured model on the cover of various Malayalam magazines.
- Lakshmi Priya is a voracious reader.
- Lakshmi Priya revealed that it was the Indian film director Sathyan Anthikad who appreciated her excellent sense of language and insisted her to try a hand at writing.
- In an interview, she revealed that she has gone through an abortion twice. Finally, when she got pregnant at the age of thirty she had to face various complications. It was discovered that the umbilical cord was lying around the baby’s neck. Therefore, she had to deliver her baby in the sixth month of her pregnancy via cesarean section.
- The role in her first serial, Sthreedhanam, was initially offered to her sister-in-law. However, her sister-in-law could not take it up as the production team wanted someone with long hair. Consequently, the role was passed on to Lakshmi Priya, who then made her acting debut.