Vijay Babu is an Indian actor, film producer, and businessman, who works in the Malayalam film industry. He is known for playing the role of Padmachandran a.k.a. Pappan in the Malayalam film Philips and the Monkey Pen (2013). He is also known for producing the Malayalam films Philips and the Monkey Pen (2013), Peruchazhi (2014), and Aadu (2015).
Vijay Babu was born on Friday, 14 May 1976 (age 46 years; as of 2022) in Kollam, Kerala. His zodiac sign is Taurus.
He did his schooling at St. Jude High School, Mukhathala, Kollam, Kerala. Thereafter, he attended Bangalore University to pursue a BBM. Later, he obtained an MBA from The American College, Madurai.
He got inclined towards acting at a very young age. While in school, he actively took part in plays.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Parents & Siblings
Vijay Babu is the son of Subash Chandra Babu and Maya Babu. His father died in 2021. He has a brother named Vinay Babu and a sister named Vijayalakshmi (Bindhu).
Wife & Children
Vijay Babu is married to Smitha, who owns a hospital named Invivo in Kerala. Smitha previously worked at an MNC in Dubai. The couple has a son, Bharath.
Vijay Babu began his media career with Star India in Mumbai. While working there, he earned the title of ‘Best Employee of Star TV’ in 2002. He worked there for some time and then moved to Dubai, where he established his business. After a few years, Vijay returned to India and began working as a COO at Asianet and Sitara TV in Hyderabad. In 2009, he moved to Kerala and became the vice president of Surya TV.
In 2013, Vijay quit his media career and began working as an actor and producer in the Malayalam film industry. As an actor, he has appeared in many popular Malayalam films like “Philips and the Monkey Pen,” (2013), “Mr. Fraud” (2014), “Peruchazhi” (2014), “Double Barrel” (2015), “Nee-Na” (2015), and “Crossroad” (2017). He became a household name after playing the role of ‘Sarbath Shameer’ in the Aadu film series.
In 2013, Vijay, along with Sandra Thomas, founded the Malayalam film production company titled ‘Friday Film House.’ Although the company was established after the success of the Malayalam film ‘Friday’ (2012; produced by Sandra Thomas), the film is considered the first production of his venture ‘Friday Film House.’
Vijay made his debut as a film producer with the Malayalam film “Zachariayude Garbhinikal” (2013). Subsequently, he produced films like “Philips and the Monkey Pen” (2013), “Peruchazhi” (2014), “Aadu Oru Bheegara Jeevi Aanu” (2015), “Aadu 2” (2017), and “Thrissur Pooram”(2019).
Besides acting and producing films, Vijay has also featured in the TV advertisements of brands like Tolins Foods and RG Foods.
Accused of Sexual Assault
On 26 April 2022, a female actor registered a sexual assault case against Vijay Babu at the Ernakulam South Police Station. In the complaint, she alleged that she was sexually assaulted by Vijay in a flat in Kochi many times on the pretext of offering roles in movies. Reportedly, Vijay went into hiding soon after the news broke out. Thereafter, another case was registered against Vijay for disclosing the identity of the complainant through Facebook. Later, Vijay moved to the Kerala High Court seeking anticipatory bail in the rape case. In the anticipatory bail plea, he alleged that the actor who filed a complaint against him was trying to blackmail him. She approached him seeking opportunities in the movies. He also alleged that even after their collaboration ended, she continued to stay in touch and eventually grew closer to him despite knowing that he was married and had a family. He also added that he was ready to produce the messages and pictures that the two had exchanged However, the Kerala High Court refused to accept his plea. Later, another woman accused Vijay of harassment. She claimed that Vijay tried to kiss her even though they barely knew each other for 20-30 minutes during a work-related meeting. She said that the incident shocked her and because of that, she stayed away from the film industry. She said,
He was drinking alcohol and offered it to me as well. I refused and continued working. Suddenly, he just leaned to kiss me on my lips, without any question, without any consent. Luckily, my reflex action was super quick and I just pulled myself backwards and maintained a distance from him. I looked into his face, and he then asked me: Just one kiss?”
Owing to the controversy, Vijay stepped down from the executive committee of the Association of Malayalam Movie Artists (AMMA), saying that he would stay away from the Executive Committee of the organisation till he is proven innocent in the sexual assault case to save the association from ‘disgrace.’ He sent an official letter to the AMMA in which he wrote,
Vijay Babu has sent a letter saying that he did not want to bring disgrace to the organization of which he is an Executive Committee member amid the allegations levelled against him. He would stay away from the Executive Committee for the time being until his innocence is proved. His letter (request) was discussed by AMMA and it has been approved.” News18
- Kerala State Film Award for Best Children’s Film for the film Philips and the Monkey Pen (2014)
- Flowers TV Award for Most Popular Film for his film ‘Aadu 2’ (2018)
- Mazhavil Entertainment Award for Best Villain (2019)
Note: In 2014, Vijay’s film production company ‘Friday Film House’ won seven Kerala State Film Awards in various fields.
- Mahindra XUV 500
- Mahindra Thar
- Toyota Vellfire
- Sport: Football
- Footballer: Lionel Messi
- Colour: Black
- Beverage: Tea
- Vijay Babu loves travelling and playing football in his leisure time.
- He enjoys cooking food and has participated in many cookery competitions.
- Vijay follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- He is often spotted consuming alcohol on various occasions.
- Vijay is an avid animal lover. He owns a pet dog named COCO and a Macaw Parrot named Rio.
- Vijay is fluent in four languages- English, Sanskrit, Malayalam, and Hindi.
- He is a fitness enthusiast and visits a gym daily.
- In 2020, he became the first producer in the Malayalam film industry to opt for a direct-to-OTT release with his film Sufiyum Sujatayum. The film was released on Amazon Prime Video.
- He is known for funding many experimental films in the Malayalam film industry. Vijay also supports budding filmmakers in the Malayalam film industry.
- During an interview, Vijay shared that he went to see the shooting of a film for the first time when he was 5 years old.
- In a conversation with a media person, Vijay Babu revealed that his father and actor Jayan were classmates and family friends. He further said that his father was deeply hurt after the demise of Jayan and decided to make a film titled ‘Sooryan’ in his memory. Vijay appeared in the film as a child artist. The film was a huge loss and caused financial stress to his father.
- Vijay’s father owned a lodge called ‘Mookambika’ in Kollam and most of the celebrities stayed at his father’s lodge whenever they were in Kollam (due to his father’s cinematic connections).
- Initially, Vijay’s parents were not happy with his decision to pursue acting as his career. In an interview, Vijay revealed that when he decided to study at Pune Film Institute, his mother asked him to first earn a degree in business and then pursue a course in acting.