Shubham Gupta is an Indian IAS Officer of the 2019 batch of Maharashtra cadre. As of 2021, he is serving as an assistant collector at Nashik (Government of Maharashtra).
Shubham Gupta was born on Wednesday, 11 August 1993 (age 28 years; as of 2021) in Jaipur. His zodiac sign is Leo. He did his elementary schooling in Jaipur. After Shubham completed class 7, his family shifted to Dahanu Road, a small village in Maharashtra, due to financial constraints. He then got himself enrolled in Shree Swaminarayan Gurukul, Chala, Vapi, from where he completed his class 12 (2012).
While in school, Shubham used to assist his father in his shoe shop in Maharashtra after his school hours. After completing class 12, he moved to Delhi and wanted to pursue his further education from Delhi’s Shri Ram College of Commerce. However, he could not get admission to that college. He pursued B.A. (Hons.) in Economics (2012-2015) from Delhi College of Arts and Commerce. Thereafter, he pursued M.A. in Economics from Delhi College of Arts and Commerce, Delhi University (2015-2017). LinkedIn – Shubham Gupta
Shubham gave his first attempt for the UPSC exam in 2015, but could not clear the preliminary examination. In 2016, he again made an attempt and was able to clear all the three exams- Prelims, Mains, and Interview. He achieved 366th rank and was placed under the Indian Audit and Accounts Services. However, he was not satisfied with his rank and while he was still in his training phase, Shubham again appeared for the examination in 2017 but failed. In 2018, Shubham made his fourth attempt for the examination and secured an All India Rank (AIR) 6. Jansatta
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Shubham’s father, Anil Gupta, is a businessman. Not much is known about his mother. He has an elder brother, Krishna Gupta, who is an entrepreneur. His elder sister, Bhagyashree Gupta, is a CA.
After achieving the 366th rank in his second UPSC attempt in the 2017 batch, Shubham was placed at the National Academy of Audit and Accounts, Shimla, as an Officer Trainee.
He completed his training in December 2018. He then worked as an Assistant Accountant General in Jaipur, Rajasthan, from December 2018 to August 2019. Shubham achieved an AIR 6 in his fourth attempt at the UPSC examination and became an IAS Officer of the 2019 batch of Maharashtra cadre.
In August 2019, he joined Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie as an officer trainee and was subsequently, appointed as an Assistant Collector at Nashik (Government of Maharashtra) in May 2020.
- Beverage: Tea
- Sport: Cricket
- Colour: White
- Shubham loves collecting and reading non-fiction books, biographies, and autobiographies in his leisure time.
- He is good at sports and loves watching and playing sports like cricket and tennis.
- During an interview, Shubham shared that driving worked like a stress buster for him in his difficult times.
- Shubham got motivated to become an IAS officer when he was in class 5. Talking about it in an interview, he said,
I was in 5th Standard. My father came to me and said that he wants me to become a collector one day. So, I asked him ‘Who is a Collector?’. That incident made an impression in my mind and when I was in 11th standard then I realized that this aspiration of becoming an IAS Officer would help me in achieving my goals.”
- His family shifted to a small village in Maharashtra when Shubham was in his teens. At that time, his village had no Hindi or English medium school. As he was new in Maharashtra, he found it very difficult to study in a Marathi school. So, his father enrolled Shubham and his sister in Shree Swaminarayan Gurukul, Chala, Vapi, which was far away from their place. Shubham and his sister used to board trains to reach their school and return home.
- Shubham was a studious person since childhood and never compromised with his studies. Even when he used to look after his father’s shop in his school days, Shubham used to carry his books to the shop and study there in his free time.
- After Gupta secured good marks in his class 10 examination, his friends and teachers suggested him to pursue Science further. However, he had an interest in commerce and decided to pursue it.
- His role model is his father. Talking about his father in an interview, Shubham said,
My Role model is my Father because he has struggled a lot in his life. Many times he has faced financial crunch and hit the rock bottom but still, he managed to recover and bring balance to our life. His ‘Never Say Die Spirit’ really inspires me a lot.”
- Shubham’s medium for attempting the UPSC examination was ‘English.’
- He chose ‘Law’ as the optional subject for his UPSC examination in 2018.
- Shubham is an avid dog lover and keeps posting his pictures with dogs on his social media accounts.
- He has been invited as a chief guest at various events by NGOs.