Robert Raj is an Indian choreographer. He also works as a filmmaker, producer, and actor who predominantly works in the Tamil film industry. He works as a choreographer in other regional film industries. In films, Robert Raj often gives cameo appearances as a villain. He hit the headlines in October 2022 when he became one of the participants of the Indian reality show Bigg Boss Tamil Season 6, which was aired on the Star Vijay channel.
Robert Raj was born on Tuesday, 26 January 1981 (age 41 years; as of 2022) in Chennai, India. His zodiac sign is Aquarius.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His sister Alphonsa worked as an item song dancer and actress in Tamil films including Rajinikanth’s Basha and Vikram starrer film Dil. She superannuated from the entertainment industry in 2013.
He is not married.
In 2013, Robert Raj was in a relationship with Tamil film producer Vanitha Vijayakumar. Later, they broke up due to some personal issues.
Robert Raj and Vanitha Vijayakumar appeared in the television serial Natchathira Jannal in 2013. The show was aired on the Puthuyugam channel. They were in lead roles opposite each other. In 2014, Robert Raj and Vanitha worked together on the film Mgr Sivaji Rajini Kamal as director and producer, respectively. On the sets of the film, Robert confessed his feelings towards Vanitha and began living in a live-in relationship. It was Robert’s directorial debut film. Soon after the release of the film, they were spotted together attending many television serials for the promotion of their film. He tattooed Vanitha’s name on his left arm as a symbol of their love. However, they broke up after some time, and both of them were spotted denying their relationship in the media. Once, in a media conversation, Robert was asked about the tattoo of Vanitha’s name on his arm to which he replied that it was a sign of respect for the producer of his directorial debut film. Later, Bailwan Renganathan, a colleague of Robert, stated in an interview with a media journalist that Robert and Vanitha wanted each other’s company only to promote Robert’s directorial debut film Mgr Sivaji Rajini Kamal.
Robert Raj began his acting career in 1991 when he appeared as a child artist in the film Azhagan. In this film, he played the role of Mammooty’s son. As he grew up, he started appearing as a dancer in many Tamil films including Mannava in 1996 as a dancer in the song “Yamma Yamma,” Kaalamellam Kaathiruppen in 1997 as a dancer in the song “Anjam Number,” Narasimham in 2000 as a dancer in the song “Pazhanimalai.”
Robert Raj worked in the film Maaran in 2002 as an actor. The film was directed by Sathyaraj. He then worked in the film Pavalakodi in 2003. Several film critics negatively criticised his performance in the film. One of the film critics wrote,
Struggles to emote and even potentially funny dialogues lose their effect because of his dialogue delivery.”
Robert Raj then appeared in the film Dancer in 2005. In this film, he played the character of a student who was disabled and was trying to become a successful dancer in his life. In 2006, he was honoured with the Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Villain for playing the character of antagonist in the film Dancer in 2005. Many film critics acclaimed his performance in the film.
In 2012, Robert Raj was the recipient of the Vijay Award for Best Choreographer for the film Podaa Podi. He also gave a cameo appearance in the film as a dancer in its video song “Love Panlamma?” He then went on to appear in several cameo roles in Tamil films including “Aasaiye Alai Poley,” “PadapadakkudhuManame,” “Chennai City Gangster,” and “Onnunarendu.”
In 2020, Robert Raj worked in the web series Mugilan as Saravanan, an actor. The series was streamed on ZEE5.
- Robert Raj attracted controversy when he and his sister, Alphonsa, were registered in an FIR in 2012. Alphonsa was in a relationship with Vinod, a budding Tamil actor, and they were living in a live-in relationship. In the same year, Vinod and Alphosa tried to commit suicide due to which Vinod died, and Alphonsa was saved by the doctors. Later, a case was registered by Vinod’s parents against Alphonsa and Robert Raj. Behind Bollywood
- Robert Raj attracted another controversy in 2017 when a Tamil actor Tinku mentioned Robert’s name in a video and accused the music composer Amresh Ganesh of stealing a song titled “Hara Hara Mahadevaki,” which he had introduced in the film Motta Shiva Ketta Shiva. Tinku asserted that he and Robert composed the song “Hara Hara Mahadevaki” in 2015 together when they worked together on the film ‘Thaathaa Car-ai Thodadhae’ along with Amresh. Tinku added that the film was shelved due to some production issues and Amresh used the song in his other project. In 2017, Amresh in a media conference rejected all the accusations and stated that Tinku and Robert cheated him by delaying the film. Amresh added that he was the real composer of the song and the song was filmed in Bangkok, and Amresh paid a huge amount to Tinku and Robert for the picturisation of the song. However, the film was later failed to release. In the same interview, Amresh cited that Robert sold the song to another music composer Srikanth Deva, who added the song to another delayed film Minor Kunju Kaanom, which was made by Tinku, Robert, and Srikanth Dev together. Deccan Chronicle
- Robert inked a tattoo on the left side of his chest.
- When he was in a relationship with Tamil producer Vanitha in 2013, he inked her name on his right arm.
- He also goes by the name Master Robert.