Mayilsamy was an Indian actor, theatre artist, host, and philanthropist. He is known for playing comic roles in Tamil films. On 19 February 2023, the actor died of cardiac arrest at the age of 57 years.
R Mayilsamy (1965-2023) was born on Saturday, 2 October 1965 (age 57 years; as of 2022) in Tamil Nadu. He was interested in acting since he was a child and used to perform in theatre plays across Tamil Nadu.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information about his parents and siblings.
Wife & Children
He was married to Shantha. His son Arumainayagam Mayilsami (popularly known by his stage name Anbu) is an actor.
In 2019, his son Arumainayagam (aka Anbu) got married to Aishwarya, who is the daughter of K. Pitchandi, a Tamil politician and Deputy Speaker of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.
Before commencing his career in acting, Mayilsamy used to work as a mimicry artist. He had also worked for stunt master Kanal Kannan, who used to record his mimicry voices to use as background scores of stunt scenes.
Mayilsami made his acting debut with the Tamil language film “Dhavani Kanavugal” in 1984 in which he made a short appearance as one of the crowd.
He has appeared in almost 200 films in a career span of 39 years. Some of his most notable Tamil films include “Gnanapazham” (1996), “Dhill” (2001), “Vaseegara” (2003), “Kanchana” (2011), “Sathiram Perunthu Nilaiyam” (2013) and “Idiot” (2022).
In 1996, Mayilsami made his television debut with the TV show “Marmadesam” on Sun TV in which he played the role of Santhanakrishnan. In 2003, he appeared as host for the first time in the show “Comedy Time” for which he gained immense popularity from the audience. He later hosted various TV shows including “Timekku Comedy” (2005) on Jaya TV and “Lollupa” (2019) on Sun TV. In 2007, he appeared as a judge in the show “Asathapovathu Yaaru” on SUN TV.
In 1992, he debuted as a dubbing artist with the film ” Kasthuri Manja” in which he dubbed his voice for the role of Vadivelu. Some other films in which he worked as a dubbing artist in various films include “Selva” (1996), “Ullam Kollai Poguthae” (2001), and “New” (2004). In 2023, he dubbed his voice in the film “Glassmate” which he completed before his death.
In 2004, he was presented with the Tamil Nadu State Government Award for Best Comedian for his performance in the Tamil film ‘Kangalal Kaidhu Sei.’
Mayilsami died around 5:30 am on 19 February 2023 due to cardiac arrest. According to some sources, Mayilsami came back to his home after giving a performance and complain about uneasiness following which he was admitted to the hospital where he was declared dead by the doctors. In an interview, while talking about the demise of Mayilsami, Rajinikanth said,
His (Mauilsamy’s passing away on Shivaraatri is not a coincidence but (points to the sky) his calculation. He (Lord Shiva) has called his pious devotee (Mayilsamy) to himself on his (Lord Shiva’s) apt day.”
- Mayilsamy was an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva. He used to visit the Marundeeswarar Temple in Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai every year. Before his death, he performed at an event at Kelambakkam Shiva temple in Vandalur along with drummer Shivamani for Mahashivaratri on 17 February 2023. In an interview, drummer Shivamani said that Mayilsamy shared his last wish to bring Rajinikanth to the Kelambakkam Shiva temple when they were performing there. Shivamani said,
Mayilsamy had told me, “I have brought (late) Vivek sir to this temple. I brought you (Drums Shivamani) too. and my last wish is to bring Superstar Rajinikanth to this temple and and get him to do the milk abhishekam on the linga here.”
- His onscreen pairing with the actors, Vivek and Vadivelu, especially in comedy films, is appreciated by the audience.
- He was a hardcore fan of M. G. Ramachandran, who was an Indian actor, politician, and philanthropist.
- He has worked with various superstars like Kamal Haasan and Rajinikanth.
- In 2021, Mayilsamy participated as an independent candidate in assembly elections from the Virugambakkam constituency; however, he failed.