Navniet Sekera is a 1996 UP cadre IPS officer and an IIT Roorkee alumnus. He is currently designated as the Inspector General (IG) of Women Power Line, Uttar Pradesh. Apart from this, Sekera is a Keynote Speaker, Corporate Mentor, Growth Hacker, Public Servant, Woman Empowerment Practitioner, and a Policy Designing expert.
Navniet Sekera was born on Friday, 22 October 1971 (age 48 years; as in 2020), in Etah, Uttar Pradesh into a lower-middle-class peasant family. His zodiac sign is Libra. He did his formal schooling from an All-Boys government school in the Etah district of UP. Later, he cracked the IIT entrance exam and enrolled himself at the IIT Roorkee, where he majored in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) (1989-93). On completing his graduation he joined IIT Delhi to pursue his master’s, but, owing to some unfortunate events he had to drop the course in between to start preparing for civil services examination. Navniet Sekera successfully cleared the UPSC exam on his first attempt; he joined the Indian Police Service in 1996. He was allotted his home cadre, his formative posting was as the Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) of Gorakhpur. uppolice.gov.in After serving for 14 years in the Indian Police service, he decided to further incline his knowledge base. He cleared the GMAT exam to get himself enrolled at the Indian School of Business, where he did his MBA in Finance, Strategy, and Leadership.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Navniet Sekera comes from a family with a farming background.
His father Manohar Singh Sekera passed in January 2020. His wife Dr Puja Thakur Sekera is a Social Activist, Motivational Speaker, Philanthropist, Counsellor for Empowering Women against Harassment. She is the founder of “Mission Sashakt,” a foundation working towards the empowerment of women. The couple together has two children, Devyansh Sekera (son) and Arya Sekera (daughter).
Navneet Sekera joined Indian Police service in 1996. After two years of intensive training at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA) in Hyderabad, he got his formative posting as the Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) of Gorakhpur. Later, he was transferred to Meerut as ASP Meerut in Dec 1998. In 2001, he was promoted to the Superintendent of Police (SP) rank as per the protocols. His first posting as SP was SP, Railway police at Moradabad and then as SP, Technical Services. Thereafter, he served as SSP in many districts including, SSP of Muzaffarnagar (Sep 2003 – Nov 2004), SSP Varanasi (Oct 2005 – Mar 2006), SSP of Meerut (Mar 2006 – Mar 2007). He was advanced to the Post of DIG (Deputy inspector general of police) in 2012 and was then promoted to the IG Rank (the third-highest rank in the Indian Police) after 2 years in 2014. At present, he is designated as the Inspector General (IG) of Women Power Line, Uttar Pradesh.
Bhaukaal Web Series
MX Player Web Series “Bhaukaal” is a story inspired by the real-life incidents from the life of Navniet Sekera. It is set in Muzaffarnagar, in 2004. The series shows how a brave IPS officer Navniet Sekera cracked on the criminal activities in the criminal capital of India, Muzaffarnagar. Sekera undertook a number of encounters, hence, bringing down the graph of criminal activities and terminating the terror of gangsters, Shaukeen Khan and Dedha brothers.
The encounter of UP don Ramesh Kalia
Ramesh Kalia was a notorious racketeer based in Lucknow, who mainly used to extort money on a large scale from contractors and builders of Uttar Pradesh. Back in the day, in 2004 when Samajwadi Party was in power in UP, the biggest challenge before CM Mulayam Yadav was to curb the rising level of crime in the state. Especially, in its capital Lucknow which was then in the grip of a crime wave. A number of criminals including, Ramesh Kalia (once one of the most feared Mafias of the state), have had become a headache for the UP Government. The terror of Kalia among the general public was so high that, nobody dared to testify against him. In September 2004, Kalia was allegedly involved in the murder of a Samajwadi Party’s MLC, Ajit Singh at his birthday party. The news jolted the state, questions were raised about the government’s standards for the safety and security of its citizens. This was the time when IPS officer Navniet Sekera, who had till then helmed the encounters of more than 40 criminals was summoned to Lucknow from Muzaffarnagar, to contain the galloping graph of criminal activities.
A Dramatic encounter
This incident is from February 2005, when Kalia had demanded a five lakh extortion amount from a local builder and has called him at an under-construction house in Neelmatha area, in Lucknow. Kalia had setup his goons everywhere around the place. Now, Navniet Sekera and his police operatives had to resort to a unique ploy to reach Kalia. Sekera prepared the script of the police disguised as a marriage procession (Barat) when there was no way to reach his base. According to the ploy, a woman constable was dressed up as the bride and made to sit in a doli, while an inspector was disguised as the groom. A team of armed policemen with inspectors was part of the procession. With the band-baaja, the procession reached Ramesh Kalia’s base in Nilmatha. In the operation which lasted for around 20 minutes, more than 50 bullets were exchanged between the police and Kalia gang; leaving the dreaded gangster Ramesh Kalia dead.
Awards and Service Decorations
Here are a few prominent awards and medals Navniet Sekera has bagged in his tenure.
- Chief Minister’s award for Innovation (2002)
- President’s Police Medal for distinguished service (2005)
- President’s Police Medal for meritorious service (2013)
- Director General’s Commendation Disc – Silver (2015)
- Director General’s Commendation Disc- GOLD (2018)
- After his 12th grade exams, Sekera went to Hansraj College in Delhi seeking for admission in BSc course. Owing to his appearance, he was humiliated and turned out of the office by a clerk present there. But, the disgraceful ejection didn’t undermine his confidence. The small-town boy’s sheer grit and determination kept him going, and the kid who had till then studied in Hindi medium schools went on to crack IIT & UPSC exams.
- IITian, Navniet Sekera wanted to be a software engineer but, reportedly, left his master’s in-between and started preparing for civil services examination when he and his father were humiliated and forcefully ejected from a police station by cops.
- In UPSC final results, Sekera secured a very high rank to which he could have easily got a post of an IAS officer, however, he decided on the Indian Police Service.
- At the age of 32, Sekera became the youngest police chief (SSP) of the state capital (Lucknow).
- In the year 2001, Software Engineer Navniet Sekera won a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakh by the then CM of UP Rajnath Singh for developing GPS-GIS based Automatic Vehicle Location System (AVLS) when he was SP of Technical Services.
- Navniet is focused on the empowerment of the girl child and women. He was the man behind the concept of ‘Women Power Line 1090’ which was started by the UP government in 2012.
- Sekera is an active member of the Indian Screenwriter’s Association.
- The supercop has led as many as 60 encounters in his meritorious career so far.
There is no such thing called talent, if you have a fire within you talent follows you.” – Navniet Sekera
References [ + ]