Leon Ung is a British actor, stunt performer, model, dancer, and gymnast. He is a popular national-level break dancer in the UK, having won the triple UK Street Dance Championships in 2022.
Leon Ung was born on Tuesday, 21 September 2010 (age 13 years; as of 2023) in London, U.K. His zodiac sign is Virgo. During the Khmer Rouge-led genocide in Cambodia in the 1970s, Leon’s grandmother’s entire family was murdered. His grandfather later met a smuggler who offered to take them out of Cambodia to Vietnam. However, they soon realized that the smuggler was a human trafficker. In an attempt to escape, they boarded a crowded fishing boat headed for Hong Kong. The journey was dangerous, and the boats were overcrowded, leading to a lack of oxygen, food, and water. However, they managed to send an SOS signal, and a British cargo ship called the Sibonga rescued them. Reportedly, only two boats survived among several that carried around a thousand survivors.
When Leon’s family arrived in the UK, they spent two years at a refugee camp in the New Forest, near Christchurch, called Sopley. Most of the families in the camp were Vietnamese. Leon’s father had lived in the refugee camp in the New Forest from the age of two to four.
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Thi Ung, and his mother’s name is Asha Ung. Leon’s father is Cambodian, and his mother is Indian. He has two brothers named Kyan Ung and Aareon Ung. Kyan Ung is an actor and has worked in the 2019 American film The Lion King, and Aareon Ung is a professional gymnast and is ranked ninth in the UK.
Leon Ung is unmarried.
Leon Ung works as a model, content creator, and scriptwriter for various clothing brands.
In 2020, Leon Ung appeared as ‘Nas’ in the OSCAR-winning short film, The Long Goodbye, which was directed by Riz Ahmed and Aneil Karia. The film won the ‘Best Live Action Short’ award in 2022.
Leon then played a role in Roald Dahl’s film ‘Matilda the Musical,’ which was released on Netflix in 2022.
Leon appeared as Young Bobby Deol in the Hindi film ‘Animal’ in December 2023.
He worked as a YouTube presenter for artist Lubaina Himid at the Tate Gallery exhibition in 2022.
Once, Leon choreographed and performed as a ‘Metahuman’ in an A.I. music video for an Artificial Intelligence Tech company, showcased at the Global A.I. Generative Conference. He is a famous UK breakdancer, who earned the title of Triple Champ Winner at the 2022 UK StreetDance Championships and secured first place in all Breaking categories: 12U, 16U, and Adults.
- In 2018, he was featured as a breakdancer in Sainsbury’s Christmas commercial, which was directed by Michael Gracey.
- Leon Ung is trained in martial arts and is a fitness enthusiast. He frequently uploads pictures of his workout sessions on social media.
- In 2019, he was featured as a Drummer in a Heinz Baked Beans television commercial.
- Leon Ung portrayed Spider-Man and performed stunts for Black Panther in a Marvel toy commercial in 2022.
- Apart from being a dancer and model, Leon is also a professional drummer.
- Leon Ung has a keen interest in basketball, football, martial arts (Kung-Fu & Jiu Jitsu), and weapon training. He holds a Grade 3 in drums and is proficient in playing the piano.
- In 2023, he worked with the Refugee Council, a charity venture in the U.K., for its campaign support and presented a film at the Glastonbury Festival.
- In a media interview, Leon Ung once spoke about the lack of opportunities in the film industry for people like him, who have mixed origins. He said,
But often, (film) makers are looking for half-black and half-white (actors). If they want an Indian (performer), I again don’t fit in as I look ‘not Indian enough’. When it’s for Asian or Chinese characters, they find me ‘not Asian enough’. That’s why it’s really hard. It also shows there is still a problem of actual and fair representation.”
- Swimming, travelling to distant places, break dancing, street dancing, skateboarding, and gymnastics are his favourite recreational activities.