Sonakshi Sinha is an Indian actress. She is known for being the star kid of veteran Bollywood actor and politician Shatrughan Sinha. She is one of the highest-paid actresses in the Bollywood industry. She worked as a costume designer before venturing into the Hindi cinema.
Sonakshi Sinha was born on Tuesday, 2 June 1987 (age 35 years; as of 2022) in Patna, Bihar and raised in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. Sonakshi Sinha completed her school education at Arya Vidya Mandir, Mumbai. Later, she pursued a graduate degree in Fashion Designing from Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women’s University (SNDT), Mumbai. Rediff
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Body Measurements (approx.): 35-27-35
Parents & Siblings
Sonakshi Sinha is the daughter of Indian actor and politician Shatrughan Sinha. Her mother’s name is Poonam Sinha, a homemaker who was a former Miss Young India (1968). She has two twin brothers named Luv Sinha and Kuch Sinha. She is the younger child in her family.
She is not married.
Earlier, Sonakshi Sinha was in a relationship with Aditya Shroff (of Fame cinemas) but due to some unknown reasons, she broke up with him.
She then started dating Bunty Sajdeh who was her alleged boyfriend. She was often spotted attending several parties and functions with him.
She lives at 49, Ramayan, 9th Road, JVPD Scheme, Juhu in Mumbai.
Before entering into films, she worked as an usher (a person who shows people where to sit) at the Lakme Fashion Week and has been a fashion designer. During that days, she inclined toward acting & modelling. Eventually, she opted for the entertainment industry as her career. She then started her modelling career for Lakme Fashion week programs in 2008 and 2009. In 2010, she made her superhit debut Hindi movie ‘Dabaang’ opposite Salman Khan in which she played the role of ‘Rajjo Pandey’. After the huge success of the movie, she earns a lot of fame and as a result, she started getting offers from popular directors. She won the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut for her role in Dabangg. She then appeared in many hit movies in the Bollywood industry. Some of her popular movies are Rowdy Rathore (2012), Son of Sardaar (2012), Dabangg 2 (2012), and Holiday: A Soldier Is Never Off Duty (2014). In 2013, for her role in the film Lootera, she earned critical acclaim for playing the role of a troubled woman suffering from tuberculosis. She was also nominated for the Filmfare Award for Best Actress for this film. Thereafter, Sonakshi Sinha gave many times guest appearances in the movies by featuring in the popular hit item songs- ‘Go Go Govinda’, ‘Thank God It’s Friday’, ‘Party All Night’, ‘Har Kisi Ko’, ‘Nachan Farrate’, ‘Move Your Lakk’, etc. In 2014, she started working in Tamil films. Her first Tamil movie was Lingaa opposite Rajinikanth, and the film was directed by KS Ravikumar. In 2015, for her character and role in the film Tevar, she received critical comments. This film was directed by Boney Kapoor. An Indian film critic, Rajeev Masand commented that Sonakshi Sinha’s role in the film was limited to the dancing numbers only. He stated,
Sonakshi Sinha, playing another simpering damsel in another South remake, once again has nothing to do. She appears content showing up for a few dance numbers, and waiting around for a man to save her.”
In 2017, Sonakshi Sinha was cast in the film Noor, which was a comedy film based on Saba Imtiaz’s novel Karachi, You’re Killing Me!. The film was directed by Sunhil Sippy. In the film Ittefaq in 2018, which was a remake of the 1969 murder mystery Ittefaq, Sonakshi worked with the actors Sidharth Malhotra and Akshaye Khanna.
In 2018, Sonakshi Sinha worked in the comedy film Welcome to New York along with Diljit Dosanjh and Karan Johar. In 2019, she appeared in the film Mission Mangal in a supporting role. In the same year, in the film Total Dhamaal, she performed a dancing number titled ”Mungda,” and at the end of the year, Sonakshi appeared in the film Kalank. In 2021, she was cast in the film Bhuj: The Pride of India along with Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt, and Parineeti Chopra. In the same year, she worked with Salman Khan in the film Dabangg 3.
In 2014, in the American film Rio 2, Sonakshi Sinha lent her voice to its characters. In the same year, she worked as a model in a music video titled Superstar, and the song was sung by the Punjabi singer Yo Yo Honey Singh.
Reality Show Judge
From 2015 to 2019, Sonakshi judged several Indian reality shows including Indian Idol, Indian Idol Junior, Nach Baliye, Om Shanti Om, and Myntra Fashion Superstar.
In 2015, Sonakshi Sinha started singing in Hindi films and her debut song was “Aaj Mood Ishqholic Hai” in the film Tevar, and this song was composed in the collaboration with Meet Bros. In 2016, in the film Akira, she sang the song titled “Rajj Rajj Ke.” In 2018, she lent her voice to the song “Rafta Rafta Medley” from the film Yamla Pagla Deewana: Phir Se. Sonakshi Sinha released her two songs titled “Hum Hindustani” and “Mil Mahiya” in 2021. Later, in a live musical concert, she sang a song titled ‘Love Dose,’ which was earlier sung by Yo Yo Honey Singh. Sonakshi delivered the lyrics of the song from a girl’s perspective.
Once Sonakshi Sinha’s name was linked to a leaked MMS, which had gone viral on WhatsApp. However, later, it was a proven fake video.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
Sonakshi Sinha was honoured by Filmfare Awards, Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards, International Indian Film Academy Awards, Star Screen Awards, and Zee Cine Awards with the Best Female Debut award for the film Dabangg.
Sonakshi Sinha earned the Most Entertaining Actor in a Romantic Role – Female award for the film Son of Sardar by BIG Star Entertainment Awards.
Zee Cine Awards presented her with the Best Actress award for the film Lootera.
She owns a BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo (GT)
- Her favourite film director in the Bollywood industry is Sanjay Leela Bansali.
- Underwater diving is Sonakshi’s favourite recreational activity.
- She likes the Green and Yellow colours.
- Sonakshi Sinha likes to wear attires dressed by Salvatore Ferragamo, Narendra Kumar, Manish Malhotra, and Vikram Phadnis.
- Victoria’s Secret Pink and Jean Paul Gaultier Classique are Sonakshi Sinha’s favourite perfumes.
- Sonakshi Sinha likes to spend her holidays mostly in Paris and London.
- She cleanses, tones and moisturizes on a daily basis and applies Multani Mitti (Fullers Earth) pack occasionally. According to Sonakshi Sinha, she drinks a lot of water to keep her skin fresh.
- Sonakshi Sinha never thought to become an actress. During her childhood, she also accompanied her father to various shooting locations.
- Sonakshi started working as an usher ( a person who shows people where to sit) at the Lakme Fashion Week’s programs soon after completing her graduation in Fashion design.
- In 2014, Sonakshi Sinha bought a team in the World Kabaddi League in joint collaboration.
- Sonakshi adores drawing sketches and painting in her free time.
- It was rumoured in 2017 that Sonakshi would perform the opening act for Canadian singer Justin Bieber‘s Purpose World Tour concert at the DY Patil Stadium in Mumbai, but her performance could not occur due to some unknown reasons.
- A website named SOEZI was started by Sonakshi Sinha in 2020. On this website, she displays fashion and nail art accessories.
- According to Sonakshi Sinha, in Hindi cinema, she is highly inspired by the works of Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar.
- Once, during an ongoing Jain festival in Mumbai, a meat ban movement was announced by some protesters, and Sonakshi Sinha reacted to this ban on her Twitter handle following which she received several hate comments and trolling. Her Tweet was,
Meat ban in Mumbai due to the ongoing Jain festival. She had tweeted, "This is a free country! Welcome to BAN-istan… I meant india.. Stupid.”
- Sonakshi Sinha is followed by over 23 million people on Instagram where she regularly posts her pictures and videos. She is followed by over 28 million people on Facebook.
- Sonakshi is an avid animal lover. She regularly shares pictures of her pet on social media and believes that pets help in relieving human stress.
- Several well-known magazines and tabloids often feature Sonakshi Sinha on their cover.
- According to Sonakshi Sinha, she earned Rs. 500 as her first remuneration when she was working at a Fashion Week. In a media interview. she explained,
I got my first pay cheque when I volunteered as an usher at a fashion week. I was still in college then and I was being paid Rs 500 a day. By the time the event ended, I had earned Rs 3000. I gave the cheque to my parents. My mother has framed it and kept it as a memento.”
She added that she had the habit to hand over her earnings to her parents. She said,
Till date, every cheque I get, goes to my parents. I have few needs so whenever I need money, I ask them.”
- When Sonakshi Sinha was a child, she adored wearing sarees and a nose pin.
- Reportedly, Sonakshi Sinha donated a considerable amount of her first remuneration from the film Dabangg to Salman Khan’s NGO named Being Human.
- In her leisure time, Sonakshi likes doing photography, swimming, reading books, doing yoga, and dancing.
- Her looks are often compared with the popular actress ‘Reena Roy,’ her father’s co-star.
- She is tech-savvy (a person who has complete knowledge of modern technology, especially computers.)
- Sonakshi Sinha deactivated her Twitter handle in June 2020 soon after she was negatively trolled for supporting her father in political rallies. In one of her posts on Instagram, she wrote,
How i got myself off twitter and away from the negativity. Some people are celebrating like they won something… im happy for you, tumhe laga raha hai na… lagne do, kisi ko koi farak nahi padh raha (I am happy that you feel this way. Continue feeling like that, nobody gives a damn).”
- She often walks on the ramp for many leading brands.
- Sonakshi Sinha inked a star tattoo on her right collarbone.
- Before venturing into Indian cinema, Sonakshi Sinha was overweight, but she lost more than 30 kg for her debut film Dabangg in 2010. Despite her busy schedule, she regularly goes to the gym and maintains a healthy & balanced lifestyle. She is a fitness fanatic. She regularly posts pictures and videos of her workout sessions on several social media platforms.
- Sonakshi Sinha was associated with PETA in 2013, and she also did a one-minute advertisement for PETA in which she was seen urging people to adopt and sterilise animals. In the video, she was saying,
Breeders, pet stores and people who don’t sterilize their animals are responsible for all the animals who end up homeless. Every time someone buys a dog or cat from a breeder or pet store, a homeless animal roaming the streets or waiting in an animal shelter loses a chance at a home and a good life.”
- Sonakshi Sinha often appears in several television advertisements while promoting commercial brands.
- She is a left-hander