Sandeep Singh is the legend of Indian hockey who is globally known as one of the best drag-flickers in the world. He is also a penalty corner specialist. He is the man who brought the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup to India under his captaincy in 2009. He is an Indian field hockey player and Deputy Superintendent of Police in Haryana police. On 13 July 2018, his biopic “Soorma” was released in India in which, Diljit Dosanjh played the role of this Indian hockey star Sandeep Singh. Check out Sandeep Singh wiki, height, weight, age, girlfriend, wife, caste, family, biography and more.
Sandeep Singh’s full name is Sandeep Singh Bhinder. He is also called Flicker Singh. He is 32 years old former Indian field hockey player who was born on 27 February 1986 in a Punjabi family at Shahabad, Haryana, India. He completed his schooling from Shahbad, Haryana and later graduated in B. A. from Kurukshetra University. He has also been the student of Khalsa College, Patiala. He was passionate about playing hockey since his childhood and fascinated by his elder brother’s hockey kit and dress.
Being an athlete, Sandeep Singh has an athletic appearance. He is a tall and brawny man and his height is around 6 ft. He weighs around 75 kg. His eyes and hair both are black and has a built-up body. He wears the turban on his head; as he follows the Sikhism. His chest is around 42 inches, waist 30 inches, and biceps are 14 inches.
Family, Caste, Girlfriend
He belongs to a Punjabi Saini family from Haryana. His father name is Gurcharan Singh Bhinder and his mother is Daljit Kaur Bhinder. Both always supported him to play hockey for the nation.
He has an elder brother who is also a hockey player named, Bikramjeet Singh. His elder brother known by his field name “Monty Singh.”
He married to an Indian hockey player, Harjinder Kaur after dating her for a long time.
Sandeep Singh learned to play hockey from his elder brother Bikramjeet Singh and started playing for domestic hockey teams. He made his international debut at a very young age in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup, Kuala, Lumpur in 2004. He was doing pretty well in the Indian hockey team but a shooting incident on August 2006 compelled him to take bed rest for months. These were the darkest days of his life but he aspired to make a come back to the Indian team. He recovered his health and make his come back in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in 2008, where he became the top scorer with 9 goals in his pocket. In 2009, he became the captain and the same year India won the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup under his captaincy. In 2012, he broke the record of most goals (121) by Dhanraj Pillay. Currently, he is the DSP in Haryana police.
On 26 September 2019, he joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ahead of the Haryana Assembly Elections.
- During an interview, Sandeep revealed that he was a quite lazy student in his school days. He was a foodie who just loved to eat and sleep.
- Initially, he was reluctant to play hockey; however, he was charmed by his elder brother’s hockey-kit and dress. He desired the same things to his parents, which they gave to his elder brother. His parents agreed on the condition that he should also play hockey like his elder brother.
- Sandeep is a big fan of Dhanraj Pillay.
- In 2003, he was inducted into the Indian National Hockey Team and he became the world’s youngest player (at the age of 17+) to represent India at the 2004 Athens Olympics.
- Sandeep Singh became the leading goal scorer in the 2005 Junior Hockey World Cup.
- On 22 August 2006, just a few weeks before the Hockey World Cup to be held in Germany, Sandeep Singh was shot when the service pistol of an Assistant Sub-Inspector, Mohar Singh, mistakingly went off and hit Singh’s right hip while onboard the Kalka-New Delhi Shatabdi Express. He was immediately rushed to the PGIMER Chandigarh.
- The bullet had damaged his lower rib, liver, and kidney. The lower portion of his body got paralyzed and doctors doubted over his chances to ever play hockey again. According to Sandeep, those were the darkest days of his life.
- Sandeep was so determined to play hockey again that even during his treatment at PGIMER Chandigarh, he, along with his elder brother, tried to play hockey; without doctors’ consent.
- After a few months of his treatment at PGIMER Chandigarh, he could sit on the wheelchair, and then, doctors told him that now, he could attend a rehab center.
- With the help of Hockey India Federation, he was sent abroad for rehabilitation, and when he returned to India, he wasn’t on wheelchair rather on his foot.
- Sandeep Singh made his come back in the 2008 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup, where he emerged top scorer with 9 goals.
- In January 2009, he was appointed the captain of the Indian National Team.
- Under his captaincy, India won the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in 2009, after 13 years.
- In 2012, in a match against France during the 2012 London Olympics Qualifier, Sandeep Singh broke the record of most goals (121) by Dhanraj Pillay.
- At the peak of his career, Sandeep Singh was said to have the best speed in the world in drag flick (speed 145 km/h).
- Sandeep Singh aims to break Pakistani Defender Sohail Abbas’s record of 348 goals.
- For his achievements in the Field Hockey, Haryana Government hounored him with a DSP Rank in the Haryana Police.
- He scored the most goals in the 2009 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup. He was also the leading goal scorer in the qualifying tournament for the 2012 London Olympics.
- He was Player of the Tournament in the 2009 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup.
- He was hounored with prestigious ‘Arjuna Award’ by the Government of India in 2010.
- In 2011, International Hockey Federation ranked him under the top five hockey players in the world.
- Apart from playing for the Indian team, he also played for the teams like Mumbai Magicians, Punjab Warriors, Ranchi Rays, and Havant Hockey Club.
- His favourite actor is Shah Rukh Khan.
- He loves to eat Pasta, Sprouted Grains, and Salads.
- His favourite hockey players are Dhanraj Pillay and Sohail Abbas.
- He is fond of cars and bikes. He has around four cars and two bikes including Nissan, Mahindra Thar, Fortuner, Lexus, Harley Davidson, and Royal Enfield.
- He runs a petrol pump which is situated on Delhi-Chandigarh highway.
- He has a tattoo of the Olympic symbol on his right hand.
- His hobbies are doing workouts, watching films, acting, listening to music.
- Sandeep Singh also did a cameo in the 2012 Punjabi film Ajj De Ranjhe.
- In 2018, an Indian filmmaker Shaad Ali made a biographical film of Singh’s life titled Soorma; earlier, it was titled, Flicker Singh. Diljit Dosanjh played the lead role in the film, while Taapsee Pannu and Angad Bedi were in supporting roles.