Kapil Sharma is a well-known stand-up comedian, actor, anchor, singer, film and TV producer. He is popularly known for his comedy shows, The Kapil Sharma Show, Comedy Nights with Kapil, and Comedy Circus. In 2016, he was ranked at 11 by Forbes India in the list of Celebrity 100.
He was born in a Punjabi Brahmin family on 2 April 1981 (Age: 38 years, as in 2019) in Amritsar, Punjab, India. His friends call him by his nickname ‘Kappu.’ Since his childhood, he wanted to be a singer, but later, he chose to be a comedian. He is a multi-talented person and has great singing, acting, and comedy skills. He struggled a lot in his life to help his family financially. While he was in 10th standard, he used to work in a PCO. He also worked in a cloth mill for a few months. After that, he started doing theatre and also did some small shows. He later started participating in comedy shows and earned huge success. He is very close to his family members and always give credit to his mother for his success. When he won the comedy reality show ‘The Great Indian Laughter Challenge,’ he received the prize money of Rs 10 lakh which he spent on the wedding of his sister. Kapil has done campaigning to save animals and adopt homeless animals like cats and dogs. He has also campaigned for the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ to keep the society clean.
- Height: 5′ 9″
- Weight: 70 kg
- Chest Size: 40 inches
- Waist Size: 32 inches
- Biceps Size: 14 inches
- Eye Colour: Dark Brown
- Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Girlfriend
He belongs to a middle-class Brahmin family. His father, late Jeetendra Kumar Punj worked as a head constable in Punjab Police and his mother, Janak Rani is a homemaker. His father died in 2004 due to cancer at AIIMS Delhi. Kapil is Hindu by religion. He has a brother, Ashok Kumar Sharma and a sister, Pooja Sharma.
Earlier, he had an affair with the creative director Preeti Simoes. He lived in a relationship with actress, Ginni Chatrath and the duo got engaged in 2013. They together were first seen on the set of a comedy reality show, ‘Hans Baliye.’
Kapil Sharma tied the knot with Ginni Charath on 12 December 2018 in Jalandhar, Punjab. Together they have a baby girl, who was born in December 2019.
He did his schooling at Shri Ram Ashram Senior Secondary School, Amritsar, Punjab and did his Bachelor of Arts from the Hindu College, Amritsar. During his college days, he used to participate in singing, dancing, and drama competitions. He received several awards at that time. In 2006, he took part in the Punjabi comedy reality show ‘Hasde Hasande Ravo’ that aired on MH One. After that, he took part in another Punjabi comedy show, ‘The Great Punjabi Comedy Show.’
In 2007, he participated in Hindi comedy reality show, ‘The Great Indian Laughter Challenge Season 3’ and won the show. He also participated in many other comedy shows like ‘Ustaadon Ka Ustaad’ (2009), Hans Baliye (2009), Comedy Circus (2010-2013), and Star Ya Rockstar (2011).
In 2008, he hosted the comedy TV show, Chhote Miyan. He also hosted the Season 6 of a dance reality show, ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’ along with TV host, Manish Paul in 2013.
He made his acting debut in 2010 by playing the role of Thakur’s son in the Bollywood film, ‘Bhavnao Ko Samjho.’
He consecutively won the six seasons of Comedy Circus such as ‘Comedy Circus Ke SuperStars’ (2010), ‘Comedy Circus Ka Jadoo’ (2010), ‘Jubilee Comedy Circus’ (2010-2011), ‘Comedy Circus Ke Taansen’ (2011), ‘Comedy Circus Ka Naya Daur’ (2011), and ‘Kahani Comedy Circus Ki’ (2011-2012).
He later founded his own production company, ‘K9 Productions.’ In 2013, he started hosting his own comedy show ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’ under his production house that aired on Colors TV. It later became the highest-rated scripted television show in India. The show ran successfully for three years, but due to some differences with Colors TV, the show ended in 2016.
He hosted several awards shows like 60th Filmfare Awards in 2015, Star Guild Awards in 2015, 22nd Star Screen Awards in 2016, 61st Filmfare Awards in 2016, and 62nd Filmfare Awards in 2017.
In 2015, he got the lead role of ‘Shivkumar Ramkrishan Punj’ in the Bollywood film ‘Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon.’ Though the film received a legal notice from court due to similarities with Kannada film Nimbehuli (2014). The film received positive reviews from critics.
In 2016, he started hosting another comedy show ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’ that aired on Sony Entertainment Television, but due to his health issues, the show ended in August 2017.
He made his guest appearance on several popular TV shows like Kaun Banega Crorepati Season 8 in 2014, The Anupam Kher Show in 2014, Farah Ki Daawat in 2015, Aap Ki Adalat in 2015, Dance India Dance in 2015, Indian Idol Junior in 2015, The Voice in 2015, Aaj Ki Raat Hai Zindagi in 2015, Koffee with Karan Season 5 in 2017, and Bigg Boss Season 11 in 2017.
In 2017, he produced and acted in the Bollywood film, ‘Firangi’ but the film failed at the box office.
In 2018, he again started running his comedy show, ‘Family Time with Kapil Sharma’ and hosted along with actress, Neha Pendse.
- In 2014, he was paid a whopping price of Rs 1.25 crore for hosting the extra innings of Celebrity Cricket League Season 4. He was supposed to co-host the extra innings with Mandira Bedi but at the last moment, he refused to host the event because he didn’t get a vanity van of his own.
- In 2015, during the International Marathi Film Festival Awards, he allegedly misbehaved with his female co-stars, Deepali Sayyad, Tanishaa Mukerji, and Monali Thakur. Earlier, he denied that allegation but later tweeted – “I fall, I rise, I make mistakes, I live, I learn, I’ve been hurt, but I am alive. I am human, I am not perfect, but I am thankful 🙂 (sic)”
- Once during an award function of Bollywood, the popular actress, Priyanka Chopra kept him waiting for almost three hours. When she arrived, she still said that she was not ready. After hearing this, Kapil threw his earphones on the floor and said, “Ladies logon ka yehi problem hai, madam abhi tak tayaar nahin hain.”
- A complaint was lodged against him by the Maharastra State Commission for Women when he cracked the joke about a pregnant woman delivering a baby while travelling on a road full of potholes. Women activists could not bear the joke and felt that it was derogatory and insulting. India Today
- In 2016, after the completion of two and half years of Comedy Nights with Kapil, Colors TV parted ways with him by claiming that he had demanded repeated hikes in remuneration and he even violated some clauses in the contract by hosting the show on rival channels.
- In 2016, some nurses and nursing students from Amritsar filed a complaint against Kapil Sharma for The Kapil Sharma Show at a police station by alleging that the show has demeaned their profession by objectifying them. One of the nursing students said, “This is insulting; no nurse behaves like this in real life. We are part of a dignified profession.” Another said, “The kind of relationship that has been depicted between a doctor and a nurse on the show is derogatory. Our community is against the kind of uniform worn by the actor Rochelle Rao, who plays a nurse.” Another nurse said, “Doing comedy is one thing but demeaning someone’s profession is quite another.”
- On 9 September 2016, Kapil tweeted “I am paying 15 crores income tax from last five years and still I have to pay five lacs bribe to BMC office for making my office, Narendra Modi,”. He also added “Yeh hain aapke achhe din? @narendramodi,”. After which, the vigilance officer Manohar Pawar of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said “We request Mr Sharma to share the name of the official and enable BMC to take strict action,” The chief minister of Maharashtra Devendra Fadnavis said “Kapilbhai please provide all information. Have directed MC, BMC to take strictest action. We will not spare the culprit.” According to reports, the officials alleged that he had carried out some internal changes illegally without the permission of BMC.
- In 2017, a drunk Kapil Sharma abused stand-up comedian Chandan Prabhakar while they travelled by air. When Sunil Grover tried to solve out the issue between them, Kapil then assaulted Sunil verbally and physically.
- In 2018, he lodged a complaint against Spotboye editors, Vicky Lalvani, Neeti and Preeti Simoes for maligning his image. However, Vicky Lalvani shared an audio tape recording in which Kapil is abusing Vicky.
- Indian Television Academy Award for the Best Comedian (2012, 2013)
- CNN-IBN Indian of the Year for the Best Entertainer of the Year (2013)
- Star Guild Award for the Best Comedy Show (2014)
- Indian Television Academy Award for the Best Actor (Comedian) for Comedy Nights with Kapil (2015)
- Food(s): Rajma-Chawal, Aloo Paranthas
- Actor: Akshay Kumar
- Actress: Deepika Padukone
- Musician: Gurdas Mann, Sardool Sikandar
- Comedian: Gurpreet Ghuggi
- Restaurant: Chak 89 (London)
- Destination: London
He charges Rs. 60-80 lakh/episode. His net worth is around $10 million. IndiaTimes
- Kapil is a left-hander.
- He considers Gurpreet Ghuggi as his guru.
- When he was pursuing his graduation from Apeejay College of Fine Arts in Jalandhar, he used to actively participate in theatre plays to earn some money. For directing various plays, he won a scholarship and also won a national-level award.
- He is fondly called as Comedy King by his fans.
- Initially, he was rejected in the audition round of the Great Indian Laughter Challenge season 3, but later he was called to return and won the competition.
- Kapil appeared on the cover of various popular magazines like GR8!, etc.
- In 2014, he was chosen to be the brand ambassador for the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections by the Delhi Election Commission.
- His hobbies are singing, listening to music, travelling, etc.
- He likes to drink alcohol.
- He is an avid animal lover.
References [ + ]