Deepika Padukone is a popular Indian film actress who gained popularity with films like “Om Shanti Om” (2007) and “Bajirao Mastani” (2015).
Deepika was born on 5 January 1986 (age 35; as of 2021) in Copenhagen, Denmark, and brought up in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India. She took a lot of interest in playing badminton since childhood and wanted to become a badminton player just like her father. She played badminton in many national level championships during her school days. She also worked as a child model and appeared in several advertising campaigns when she was only eight. She later changed her mind, and instead of becoming a badminton player, she decided to become a fashion model.
Height (approx.): 5’ 8”
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-26-34
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
She belongs to a middle-class Brahmin (Chitrapur Saraswat) Family. Her father Prakash Padukone is a former badminton player and also the first Indian badminton player who won the All England Championship. Her mother Ujjala Padukone is a travel agent. She has a sister Anisha Padukone, who is a golfer.
Before entering the Bollywood film industry, she was in a live-in relationship with the model Nihaar Pandya.
She was also in a relationship with actor Ranbir Kapoor and even sported a tattoo of his initials on the nape of her neck, but the relationship ended up a year later.
She was dating the Siddharth Mallya, but again the relationship ended up within a few years.
Deepika was also reported to be dating actor-Upen Patel and model-Muzammil Ibrahim.
She was also reported to be going out with cricketer-Yuvraj Singh.
On 14-15 November 2018, Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh tied the knot near Lake Como in Italy.
She did her schooling from Sophia High School, Bengaluru, and later attended Mount Carmel College, Bengaluru for her pre-university education. She then enrolled in Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi for a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Degree in Sociology but quit soon due to scheduling conflicts with her modelling career.
In 2004, she started working as a model under the guidance of fashion guru Prasad Bidapa. In 2005, she walked the ramp for designer Suneet Varma at the Lakme Fashion Week. She made her first appearance on the ramp when she was 17 years old.
She gained recognition after featuring in the commercial for Liril soap. In 2006, she appeared in a popular print campaign for Kingfisher Calendar that made her gain a lot of fame.
She later shifted to Mumbai and stayed at her aunt’s home. She appeared in the music video “Naam Hai Tera,” sung by Himesh Reshammiya. After that, she received many offers for film roles. As she had no experience in acting, she started learning acting at Anupam Kher‘s acting institute- Actor Prepares.
In 2006, she made her acting debut with the Kannada film “Aishwarya,” in which she played the lead role.
Deepika was supposed to make her Bollywood debut with Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s “Saawariya.” However, Due to some unknown reasons, the role went to Sonam Kapoor; who marked her debut the movie. In 2007, she got a chance to play the lead role in Farah Khan‘s super hit Bollywood film- “Om Shanti Om.” Farah signed Deepika for “Happy New Year;” however, the film was cancelled, and later, released in 2014. Reportedly, it was Ankita Lokhande who was the first choice for the role of Mohani in Happy New Year (2014). Koimoi
In 2017, she made her debut in Hollywood with the film “XXX: Return of Xander Cage.”
- Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut for “Om Shanti Om” (2008)
- International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Award for Best Female Debut for “Om Shanti Om” (2008)
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress Award for “Goliyon Ki Raasleela: Ram-Leela” (2014)
- International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Award for Best Actress Award for “Chennai Express” (2014)
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress Award for “Piku” (2016)
- International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Award for Best Actress Award for “Piku” (2016)
- On 14 September 2014, the Times of India tweeted about Deepika Padukone’s cleavage show to which the actress got infuriated. In response, she wrote: “Yes I am a woman. I have breasts. I have cleavage. You got a problem?.” She got support from all her fans and even the members of the glamour world. However, the Times of India’s tweet was removed.
- On Karan Johar’s talk show, she said that Ranbir Kapoor should start endorsing a condom brand.
- Another controversy erupted when the Sikh Code of Conduct was violated on the occasion of her marriage ceremony in Italy.
- On 7 January 2020, her visit to the JNU campus to show her support and condemn the brutal attack on JNU students that happened on 5 January 2020, attracted controversy. She was in town for the promotion of her movie Chhapaak and visited the protesting students at Jawaharlal Nehru University to express her solidarity against the JNU attack. She said,
I feel angry that this is happening. At the same time, it is a matter of concern that action is not being taken.”
- Amid the investigations of drug abuse in Bollywood by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) in the wake of Sushant Singh Rajput‘s death, Deepika Padukone’s name also surfaced on 21 September 2020. According to some news channels, Deepika’s name appeared in WhatsApp chats from October 2017 between Sushant’s former manager Jaya Saha, a ‘K,’ and a ‘D;’ discussing drug supplies. Hindustan Times Later, Kangana Ranaut took potshots at Deepika Padukone on Twitter and ridiculed Deepika’s depression awareness campaign, hinting it was a consequence of ‘drug abuse.’
Repeat after me, depression is a consequence of drug abuse. So called high society rich star children who claim to be classy and have a good upbringing ask their manager ,” MAAL HAI KYA?” #boycottBollywoodDruggies #DeepikaPadukone https://t.co/o9OZ7dUsfG
— Kangana Ranaut (@KanganaTeam) September 21, 2020
Deepika owns an Audi Q7, Audi A8, Mini Cooper, and BMW 5-Series.
Salary & Net Worth
Deepika Padukone charges approximately ₹14 crore/film. In 2018, her income was estimated to be ₹112.8 crore/annum and her net worth was nearly $20 Million.
- Food: Ravioli Bolognese, Pasta, Dal-Chawal, Biryani, Maharashtrian Varan, South Indian Food, Mediterranean Food, Dim Sum, Spaghetti, Pasta, Chocolates
- Film(s): Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, The Color of Paradise, Cinderella Man
- Singer(s): A.R. Rahman, Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez, Justin Bieber
- Colour(s): White, Mauve
- Fashion Designer(s): Anju Modi, Tarun Tahiliani, Manish Malhotra, Rohit Bal
- Fashion Brand: Zara
- Destination(s): France, Maldives
- Sports: Badminton, Football, Polo
- Restaurants: Mumbai- Olive, Ram and Shyam, Bengaluru- Sunny’s, London- Ping Pong, Scalini, Toronto- Soho House, South Africa- Mabula
- Before she entered the field of modelling, she was a national level badminton player and also a state-level baseball player.
- In 2005, she won the Model of the Year award at the Kingfisher Fashion Awards.
- She is non-vegetarian.
- Her hobbies include dancing, reading, playing badminton, and cooking.
- Deepika likes eating South Indian snacks, wearing Indian clothes like sarees, choodidaars, putting on mascara, and gym wear. She dislikes wearing designer clothes and negativity.
- Salman Khan was the first person who spotted the potential in Deepika Padukone and offered her a film, but at that time she wasn’t prepared for it; as she had just started her modelling career by then.
- She learned dancing from Shiamak Davar‘s dance academy.
- She learned a Japanese martial art form Jujutsu for the Bollywood film Chandni Chowk to China (2009) and performed her stunts herself.
- She is the first Bollywood actress who delivered four consecutive hit films.
- She calls choreographer Farah Khan her second mother.
- She has endorsed several brands and products like L’Oréal Paris, Tissot, Nescafe, Sony Cyber-shot, Myntra, Maybelline, Coca-Cola, Vogue eyewear, etc.
- She worked as a freelance writer for HT City in 2009.
- If reports are to be believed, she was offered a role in the Hollywood film “Furious 7.” Deepika rejected the offer due to some prior engagements.
- She is associated with an initiative of her father, Olympic Gold Quest (OGQ); a non-profit company that helps Indian athletes to win Olympic Gold medals.
- In 2010, she adopted the Ambegaon village of Maharashtra as a part of the Greenathon campaign to tackle the problem of electricity.
- She was also named the Sexiest Woman in the World by the Indian edition of FHM in 2010 & 2014.
- In 2013, she launched her clothing brand All About You.
- In 2015, she formed a foundation The Live Love Laugh Foundation to create awareness of mental health in India.
- She is the brand ambassador of the NGO Indian Psychiatric Society (IPS).
- In 2016, she was chosen the Sexiest Asian Woman by the UK magazine Eastern Eye.
- She was quoted as the ultimate role model for a healthy, fit, and active lifestyle in the fitness book fitness book-The Four-Week Countdown Diet by Namita Jain.
- She owns a flat in Beaumonde Towers, Prabhadevi, Mumbai. According to reports, her ex-boyfriend Siddharth Mallya bought it as a gift for her.
- Deepika often completes her tasks systematically and has a habit of listing everything down.
- In 2017, she became the highest-paid Indian actress.
- Deepika got engaged to Ranveer around 4 years before they got married in November 2018.
- During her school days, she used to be very talkative; the fact was testified by herself, when she shared a photo of her teacher’s remarks on her Instagram in October 2019.
- In September 2021, she bought a luxury property in Mumbai’s Alibaugh along with her husband, Ranveer Singh. Women’s era