Akshay Kumar is an Indian actor and producer. His birth name is Rajiv Hari Om Bhatia. Apart from being an actor, he is also a philanthropist, stuntman, and martial artist. Once a chef in Bangkok, he has been one of the highest-paid actors in Bollywood. Let us find out some more interesting details about Akshay Kumar’s life, his family, biography, and his journey to stardom.
Akshay Kumar was born on 9 September 1967 (age 54 years; as of 2021) in Amritsar, Punjab, India. He was educated at Don Bosco High School, Mirik, Darjeeling; around the same time, he started learning Karate. Since childhood, Akshay was interested in sports and martial arts. He was raised in Old Delhi and then relocated to Koliwada in Mumbai. Later, he took admission in Guru Nanak Khalsa College (King’s Circle) Mumbai but dropped out of college as he was poor in studies.
He moved to Bangkok and learned martial arts there. He is a Black Belt in Taekwondo and has also learned Muay Thai (Thai Boxing). While in Bangkok, Akshay worked as a chef and a waiter. On returning to Mumbai, Akshay worked as a peon for a travel organisation in Kolkata and became an instructor of martial arts. Akshay was suggested to take up modelling by one of his students because of his good looks and dashing personality. He began his career in the glamour world with modelling assignments. Once successful in modelling, Akshay changed his name from Rajeev Om Bhatia to Akshay Kumar, which was the stage name of an actor opposite to his favorite actress in a movie. He even worked as a background dancer in various films and ultimately stepped into Bollywood making his debut appearance on-screen in 1991 with the movie Saugandh. In 1992. he played the lead in the movie Deedar. Since then, there has been no looking back for him.
— Akshay Kumar (@akshaykumar) March 9, 2017
Akshay is well-known for his robust personality having 42 inches chest, 34 inches waist, and 16 inches biceps. His height is 6’ 1” and he weighs around 80kgs. He is a fitness enthusiast and follows swimming, kickboxing, and other exercises to remain in shape.
Family, Girlfriends & Wife
Akshay hails from a Punjabi Hindu Family. His father, Hari Om Bhatia, was a Government employee who served as an Army officer, later, resigned to become an Accountant at UNICEF. Akshay’s father was the companion of late Dara Singh. His mother, Aruna Bhatia, was a homemaker; she died on 8 September 2021 in Mumbai. The actor took to Twitter to announce the demise of his mother; he wrote,
I feel an unbearable pain at the very core of my existence.”
He has a younger sister, Alka Bhatia.
Akshay Kumar was well-known for his playboy nature during his early days and before his marriage. He had a series of love affairs with most of the leading actresses of Bollywood. He was reported to have been in a relationship with Pooja Batra, Ayesha Jhulka, and Rekha. There were even rumours of him being engaged to Raveena Tandon after being in a relationship with her for 3 years. However, the couple broke up. Akshay and Shilpa Shetty were also alleged to be in a relationship for a year but the latter broke up with Kumar because of the fact that he was cheating over her with her best-friend Twinkle Khanna. Even after his marriage, Akshay was rumoured to be in a relationship with Priyanka. However, Twinkle’s decision of no longer allowing Akshay to work with Priyanka put an end to the speculations.
Akshay fell in love with Twinkle Khanna, daughter of Rajesh Khanna and Dimple Kapadia and, soon, they both tied a knot on 17 January 2001. The couple has a son, Aarav and a daughter, Nitara. Akshay is quite keen about his children’s privacy and often he avoids any media interactions with them; giving them a normal lifestyle.
After doing a few modelling assignments, Akshay tried his luck in Bollywood through the 1991 movie ‘Saugandh’ and later appeared in ‘Dancer,’ ‘Mr Bond,’ ‘James Bond,’ ‘Deedar;’ he got his big break with the 1992 movie ‘Khiladi.’ It was reported that Akshay’s fate took a drastic change when he missed a flight wherein he was to be present for a modelling assignment. Depressed over missing his flight, he approached various studios with his portfolio in search of a job; it was that Pramod Chakraborty noticed him and signed him up for ‘Deedar’ (1992).
Though Akshay’s previous movies didn’t perform well at the box office, he got attention for his dance and stunts; soon, he started getting offers for action movies. ‘Yeh Dellagi’ which released in 1994 made him a top league actor of that time. With a series of his action performances and successful Khiladi movies such as ‘Main Khiladi Tu Anari’ (1994), ‘Sabse Bada Khiladi’ (1995), ‘Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi,’ Akshay got his name “Bollywood Khiladi” and “Action Hero”. With his 2000’s blockbuster hit ‘Hera Pheri’ alongside Paresh Rawal and Sunil Shetty, Akshay marked his entry into comic roles as well. He also starred in the sequel of Heri Pheri, with the comedy hero tag.
- In 2002, Akshay won the Best Villian in Filmfare Awards, IIFA Best Villian Award in IIFA Awards for his film ‘Ajnabee.’
- In 2003, Akshay was awarded as Celebrity Style Male in Bollywood Fashion Awards.
- In 2005, he was rewarded IIFA Best Comedian Award in IIFA Awards for his film ‘Mujse Shadi Karogi.’
- In 2006, Akshay was bestowed Best Comedian in Filmfare Awards and Best Comic Performance in Bollywood People’s Choice Awards for his film ‘Garam Masala.’
- In 2009, he was acclaimed Best Actor in Screen Awards for the film ‘Singh is Kinng.’
- In 2009, he was bestowed “Padma Shri” by the Government of India.
- In 2010, Akshay was rewarded Best Actor-Popular Award-Male, Best Actor-Searchlight Award-Male for his films ‘Blue’ and ‘8X10 Tasveer.’
- In 2011, he achieved Star of the Year- Male, Best Actor in a Comedy or Romance in Stardust Awards for his film ‘Housefull.’
- In 2012, he won Best Actor in a Comedy or Romance in Stardust Awards for his film ‘Desi Boyz.’
- In 2013, he was rewarded Star of the Year – Male in Stardust Awards for his films ‘Housefull 2’, ‘Rowdy Rathore’ and ‘OMG: Oh My God!’
- In 2013, he was acclaimed Best Actor in Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Awards for his film ‘Rowdy Rathore.’
- In 2014, Akshay was rewarded Box Office 1000 Crore Club Hero in Star Box Office India Awards.
- In 2015, he won Special Award in Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Awards for completing 25 years in the Industry.
- In 2016, he achieved Star of the Year-Male in Stardust Awards for his film ‘Baby.’
- In 2017, Akshay received Best Actor in National Film Awards for his film ‘Rustom.’
- Akshay Kumar was caught in a controversy with his wife, Twinkle Khanna for obscene behaviour at the Lakme Fashion, Mumbai; when his wife unbuttoned his Jeans for the promotion of a brand.
- Akshay likes to eat Thai Green Chicken Curry, Home Made Punjabi Food, and Chinese cuisine.
- He likes Non-Vegetarian food.
- His favourite dessert is Indian Sweets.
- He admires Amitabh Bachchan and Jackie Chan.
- He loves watching the Oscar-winning Italian movie – Life is beautiful.
- He prefers Cool Waters perfume.
- His choice of colour is Black.
- His favourite destination is Mauritius.
- He likes Listening to Music, Rock Climbing, Swimming.
Net Worth, Salary & Houses
He charges approximately Rs. 25 crores per film. In 2019, he was placed at 4th on the Forbes list of the 10 highest-paid actors (he collected $65 million, which equals to Rs. 466 crores; between 1 June 2018 and 1 June 2019). His Net Worth is relatively Rs. 980 crore. His addresses include 203 A-Wing, Lokhandwala Complex, Andheri(West), Mumbai 400053 and Ground Floor, Juhu Prime Beach Apartment, Gandhigram Road, Juhu, Mumbai – 400049.
Akshay Kumar owns Porsche Cayenne and Honda CRV in cars; Yamaha VMax and Harley Davidson in bikes.
- While in Bangkok, Akshay worked at a restaurant named Metro Guest House with an initial salary of ₹1,500.
- He began his training in martial arts when he was in the 8th standard.
- Akshay is never seen partying late nights neither does he smoke or drink alcohol.
- During the initial phase of his career, Akshay shot a portfolio at a bungalow in Juhu, Mumbai, which he owns now.
- Akshay was hospitalized during the shoot of the film “Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi” when he lifted Brian Lee who weighed around 350 pounds, causing severe back pain.
- He criticized his own film Phir Hera Pheri which was the sequel of Hera Pheri as big nonsense, though the film was a blockbuster hit.
- Akshay does not like to be categorised as an ‘action’ or a ‘comedy’ hero.
- During his struggling days, Akshay went for an audition in Rajesh Khanna’s film “Jai Shiv Shankar” and waited at the sets for around 4 hours, but neither was he auditioned nor was he able to meet Rajesh Khanna.
- Akshay’s demand for huge compensation replaced him with Ajay Devgn in the film “Phool Aur Kaante.”
- Other than films, Akshay also hosted in numerous TV shows like Seven Deadly Arts with Akshay Kumar, Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi (Season 1,2,4), MasterChef India (Season 1), and Dare 2 Dance.
- Akshay was honoured “The Honorary Doctorate of Law” from the University of Windsor for his outstanding acting career and also he was listed among “The Sexiest Man Alive by People Magazine” in the year 2018.
- Akshay Kumar is addressed as “New-Age Manoj Kumar aka Bharat Kumar” for his phenomenal performances in the films – Namastey London, Holiday, Baby, Gabbar Is Back, and Airlift.
- He featured in the role of police officer in 15 movies.
- Akshay Kumar rode a bike worth ₹1 million in the movie, OMG: Oh My God.
- He sang a Punjabi devotional song “Nirgun Raakh Liya” and all the profit that the album made, was donated to the victims of the train bombings of Mumbai.
- Akshay is fascinated by shoes and has more pairs than his wife Twinkle does.
- He is reported to be sentimental when it comes to his ‘firsts’ and still owns his first house, car, and motorcycle.
- Surprisingly, Akshay shares his birthday on the day of Shilpa Shetty’s husband, Raj Kundra.
- He learned Arabic for his role as a Kuwait-based businessman in Airlift.
- Akshay was the part of a few social awareness movies like Padman and Toilet: Ek Prem Katha.
- Akshay was held responsible for removing John Abraham’s in Garam Masala and Govinda’s role in Bhagam Bhag.
- Akshay was seen performing double roles in movies like Jai Kishan, Aflatoon, Khiladi 420, Chandni Chowk To China, and Rowdy Rathore.
- Actress Lara Dutta, while in Koffee with Karan, confessed about Akshay’s problem in dialogue delivery and also stated that the tactics used by his crew members like holding a piece of paper in front of him or sometimes on the costumes of the heroine, and many others.
- Prior to becoming a superstar in Bollywood, Akshay appeared as a martial arts instructor in Mahesh Bhatt’s film ‘Aaj’ in 1987.
- He has a tattoo with his wife’s name, Tina, on his left shoulder and a tattoo with his son’s name, Aarav, on his back.
- Though Akshay’s movie Gabbar is Back was a huge blockbuster, his daughter did not like his look with a long beard in the movie.
- His hobbies include Collecting Posters of Old Bollywood Movies, Cooking, Martial Arts, Playing Volleyball and Cricket.
- In an Instagram live session with wildlife adventurer Bear Grylls, he revealed that he drinks cow urine every day. The Times of India